Alert Message

Understanding unit titles and body corporate rules

23 July 2016
by Canterbury Legal

You own a unit titled property on the ground floor. The tree in your backyard has grown so tall that it blocks the sun to your neighbour’s apartment on the first floor. Your neighbour complains to the Body Corporate Committee who then gives you written notice to remove the tree. Can the body corporate committee do that?

As an owner, you are a part of the body corporate so you can have a say. How will you challenge this?

At Canterbury Legal, we can help you interpret the Body Corporate Rules and let you know your rights and responsibilities. For Body Corporate Committees we offer advice on body corporate governance and proper procedures so as to avoid expensive litigation. For individual unit titled property owners, we can represent you in the event that a there is a decision that adversely affects you.

Please contact our expert Grant Smith at Canterbury Legal for all questions regarding unit titles or contact us below.

Contact Form
Canterbury Legal Building
Level 2, Durham Street South
Christchurch Central 8011
Phone: +64 3 377 0792
Fax: +64 3 377 0795
Stay up to date with the latest in the law and at Canterbury Legal with our Legalchat newsletter.

Read previous issues of Legalchat
Copyright 2024 © NZ Legal trading as Canterbury Legal - All Rights Reserved